a mom and three sisters master each of their
unique culinary skills in four kitchens across the country.

Friday, January 28, 2011

easy breezy stir fry!

There are a few amazing things about stir fry.  
1. It's idiot proof (My type of dish!) 
2. It's fast
3. It's easy.
4. It's versatile

All you need is a protein (tofu, chicken, etc.), a bunch of vegetables, and teriyaki sauce.  You can make rice or noodles as the base to this dish (actually adding these carbs to the stir fry may mean adding more teriyaki sauce, yielding more calories!)

Last night, I decided to wander down to Chelsea Market to pick up some produce.  I already had chicken breast in my freezer and teriyaki sauce in my cabinet, so all i needed were some good vegetables.

Here was my spin on the simple recipe:

1 chicken breast (cut into bit size pieces)
1/4 cup of teriyaki sauce
Mushrooms
Snow peas
Brocolli
Onion

(Other vegetables to consider: carrots, peppers, water chestnuts, yellow squash, zucchini, cabbage...)
(Other proteins to consider: FIRM tofu, shrimp...)
If you're Angel, then the rotisserie chicken will do just fine, and you won't need to cook the chicken! That means you can add the chicken after ALL the vegetables (but before the teriyaki sauce)

1. Add oil to a wok (or regular pan)
2. Add onions until they start to become soft/transparent
3. I added my bite size pieces of raw chicken breast into the pan to cook. 
4. Once everything starts cooking, I added the vegetables as I see fit: brocolli, then snow peas, then mushrooms (i like the firmness of mushrooms)
5. Add the teriyaki sauce and let simmer!

For an EASY spin on rice, I added oil and two minced garlic cloves to a pot.  Add your rice and follow the packaged directions.  Instead of using water, however, I used CHICKEN BROTH to give it more flavor. 



No comments:

Post a Comment